Veterans Benefits FAQ

  1. If I get divorced, what happens to my VA disability benefits?
    Disability benefits provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) cannot be divided between spouses in state divorce courts. So, if you get divorced, you get to keep all of your individual benefits.
  2. What is the “Improved Pension” benefit?
    Improved pension benefits—also called non service-connected disability pension benefits—provide financial support to disabled wartime veterans and their widows or widowers based on income and asset requirements.

    There are three types of improved pension benefits:

    • Low Income Pension
      Disabled wartime veterans over age 65 and their widows or widowers can qualify for financial support if their household incomes fall below a limit set by the VA. No disability rating is required to receive this benefit.
    • Housebound Improved Pension
      Disabled veterans may be entitled to housebound improved pension benefits if they’ve received a “housebound” rating by their primary care physician.
    • Aid and Attendance Improved Pension
      Doctors who treat disabled veterans may provide patients with an “aid and attendance” rating, which provides financial compensation for caregivers at home or within long-term care facilities.

    Complicated income requirements and adjustment formulas can make determining if you qualify for improved pension benefits difficult. At Colbert Cooper Hill, we’re here to help. We know the VA’s disability programs, and we’ll review your claim to ensure you get all of the benefits you’re entitled to. Don’t take on the VA alone. Contact our veterans disability lawyers now—call (877) 579-6800 or complete a free online form.

  3. How do I challenge a veterans disability rating?
    You can file an appeal if you disagree with the disability rating assigned by the VA. An appeal allows you to give the VA new information that can help prove the severity of your disability.

    Determining what medical evidence and documentation to provide with your appeal can be difficult. Don’t let an error or omission hold you back from getting the compensation you’re truly owed. An experienced veterans disability attorney from Colbert Cooper Hill can help build a strong appeal on your behalf. Contact our legal staff today—we’re available to take your call 24/7.

  4. What paperwork do I need to file a veterans disability claim?
    To file for veterans disability benefits, you’ll need to gather copies of your:

    • DD214 (official separation papers from the military)
    • Marriage certificates
    • Divorce decrees
    • Dependent birth certificates

    You can file your Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits with the VA using a variety of methods, such as:

  5. What is VA unemployability compensation, and how much money can I expect to receive?
    VA unemployablity compensation provides financial benefits to veterans who are unable to maintain gainful employment as a result of:

    • one service-connected disability rated at 60 percent, or
    • two or more service-connected disabilities, with at least one disability rated at 40 percent and a total combined rating of at least 70 percent.

    Unemployability compensation allows you to receive veterans disability compensation at the 100 percent disability rate, even if you haven’t been rated totally disabled by the VA. Click here to find up-to-date VA disability compensation rates.