Oklahoma City Apartment Fire Caused By Cigarette Butt

by Colbert Cooper Hill Attorneys

An Oklahoma City woman was seriously injured in a New Years Eve apartment fire. According to News Channel 4, the fire started at around 10:00 PM Saturday night at Willow Cliff Apartments located at the corner of N.W. 50th St. and Meridian Ave.

Firefighters said that they could see smoke billowing out of a second story unit of the building when they arrived at the scene. They quickly made entry to the burning apartment, where they found a female victim who had been severely burned in the blaze.

The victim was taken to a local hospital where she remains in critical condition.

Arson investigators who were called to the scene of the fire determined that the blaze was started by “discarded smoking materials” on a couch.

The Federal government says that the number one cause of fatal house fires in our country today is cigarettes. Data shows that fires caused by burning cigarette butts claim an average of 900 lives per year and normally begin on soft furnishings. Experts also point out that it is not always the smokers who are injured in these blazes. Children, parents, spouses, and neighbors are often the ones who are hurt by these fires that are sparked because of negligence.

If you have been hurt in a fire that was started at no fault of your own, the Oklahoma personal injury attorneys with J. Colbert Injury Lawyers can help. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney today for a free initial consultation.